At Five Nursery and Kids Club we will respect all parents' wishes in respect of their child's diet, and ensure that a healthy and well balanced menu is available for all children.
We believe that the sharing of mealtimes can play an important part in the social and cultural life of our childcare community as well as reinforcing children's understanding of the importance of healthy eating.
- Before a child starts to attend the nursery or kids club, staff will discuss with parents the dietary needs of the child, including any allergies, and make appropriate arrangements to meet them.
- Ensuring that main courses are planned in advance and menus will be displayed and information given to parents.
- We ensure that all meals and snacks are nutritious and do not contain large quantities of fat, sugar, salt, additives, preservatives and colourings.
- Feature foods from different countries in order to give new experiences and raise cultural awareness.
- Using meal and snack times to help children develop independence by making choices, serving food and drinks and using developmentally appropriate utensils for feeding themselves.
- Twice daily children will also be offered a snack, fresh drinking water, fruit juice (and additional milk to nursery children) .Water will be available at all times.
- Milk provided for children aged one year plus is whole and pasteurized.
- Our daily routines encourage children to learn about personnel hygiene.
- Children are encouraged to blow and wipe their own noses when necessary and to dispose of soiled tissue hygienically.
- Toilet area has a high standard of hygiene including hand washing and drying facilities and also the disposal of nappies in the nursery.